Thursday, November 30, 2006

Word, bitch

Roy Edroso:

I am sympathetic to persecuted Christians -- which in my admittedly old-fashioned lexicon means Christians harrassed and assaulted for their faith -- but I notice that, like all other conservative types these days, conservative Christians have broadened their definition of persecution to include being disagreed with, and not being allowed to practice their own variants of sharia...

The most pithy summation yet of the Conservative Disease. We're intolerant, repressive, persecutin' motherfuckers if we don't allow them utter control over every aspect of our lives, all in the name of jebus. Or Dubya. Or whichever other empty bag they're frantically waving around with the word AUTHORITY written across it in letters you can only see through those cool sunglasses from They Live.

4 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh eh ehhh... luv that movie... yet christ*ee*anes don't really want that much... just all we got... but we get to live 4 eva in paradise! dealio, huh? ehhehhehehheh!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Chen,

I love THEY LIVED, too (took me a minute to realize what you were talking about). I'm especially fond of the big fight scene in the middle. Not since Kirk beat the crap out of Finnegan have we actually seen a drawn out fist fight on film in which the participants actually became visibly exhausted over the course of the punch 'em up. I really liked the verisimilitude.

As to living forever in Paradise, well, as someone named Bailey once said, I'll take half that in cash right now.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Elayne said...

Yeah, it's very difficult to claim persecution if your religion (or race, or gender, or whatever) is actually the one that runs things. I'm amazed that these cries get so much credence, but maybe we secretly love the culture of victimization (except, of course, when the people crying out are actual victims)...

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Well, victimization is always a powerful card to play. The frame I tend to look at it through, though, is the hypocrisy of screaming for freedoms they refuse to grant anyone else. To conservatives, freedom of expression means, essentially, the freedom to express oneself in ways that they are comfortable with. This drives me nuts... but I thought Roy summed it up about the best I've ever seen it done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home