Monday, November 06, 2006

The Surge!

Everyone in the political blogosphere is yammering about the 'late Republican surge in the polls'.

Bullshit.

There's no goddam 'late Republican surge'. Are you kidding me? What, a completely predictable verdict on Saddam Hussein comes down, and suddenly, every conservative Jesus-fellater with a voter registration card in his or her pocket just forgets about Mark Foley and his page boys? And Ted Haggard made no impact at all?

To use a particularly apt crudity -- blow me.

These aren't polls. This is Karl Rove's disinfo machine, blowing smoke, to cover the already programmed electronic jiggery that will, miraculously, result in Republicans emerging victorious against all predictions.

Except, of course, if they actually did it 'against all predictions', people might... I don't know... send him nasty emails, or something (we for damn sure won't do anything else about it) and he doesn't want any nasty emails, so... smoke. "Suddenly, the races are tightening." All this, to prep us for yet another election in which, in defiance of every prediction, the Republicans manage to pull out yet another all but impossible victory, by, you know, 1 - 3% of the vote.

I've been trying to get some information on which states rely mostly or entirely on electronic voting machines, and which still use paper ballots. My suspicion is, the highly contested states are all infected by electronic voting machines, while the 'safe' states (for either party) are still using paper. But that's just a hunch. I'll try to pin it down more.

In the meantime, I personally don't believe for a second that 'the races are tightening'... but I do believe, when the smoke clears on Wednesday, we'll be looking at a TV full of grinning pricks chortling some variation on "praise Jesus, the party of God and decency and true Americanism has triumphed again, by the skin of our teeth!"

And then, what are we going to do about it?

1 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger SuperWife said...

I have to imagine (if only in my deluded little world) that Saddam Hussein is simply not going to be a factor at all. He's been in custody (and not able to present a threat to Americans) for some time now. Him being dead ain't gonna change that. Do the conservatives think that he's still manipulating world events and that it will all be better once he's dead and gone??? Really??? Is it like a Charlie Manson thing??? 'Cause I don't get it.

I'm not thinking the militants are just gonna go, "Well, Fuck. Guess he's dead now. Might as well go back home.", lay down their weapons, and call it over. But, I suppose I could be completely misjudging the situation. I am, after all, a lousy judge of character.

Frankly, I think it's just more insurance for the republicans. "All you democrats should just stay home tomorrow.", seems to be the message. If the democrats fall for it and stay home, well, I guess we get what we get. It will, indeed, be interesting to see the upsets that I believe we will see. If it doesn't happen...well...as we say around my office, "I'll jump off that bridge, when I come to it."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home